Search for eBooks, eAudiobooks, and eMusic owned by TCPL and FLLS.
Download the free OverDrive app to read eBooks or listen to audiobooks on your tablet or smartphone.
Create a free ID to read eBooks on your apps-based device.
Software for Desktops and Laptops
Adobe Digital Editions
Create a free ID and install this free software to read eBooks on your computer.
Download this quick, free program to manage your eAudiobooks and eMusic.
eAudio & eBook Training
Tompkins County Public Library offers free training sessions on downloading eBooks and eAudiobooks to Kindles, Nooks, iPads, smartphones and other app-based devices through the OverDrive Digital Download service.
Call the Adult Services Reference Desk at 607-272-4556 to make an appointment
"OverDrive Help" gives customized help for your computer or device. You can select the computer or device that you primarily use for library downloads, including Windows PC, Mac, Android, iPhone, iPad, NOOK, Kindle, and Sony eReaders.
The final screen prompts you to “View My Help,” which opens a new browser window with helpful information, including required software; supported formats; instructions for the browse, check out and download process; and answers to common questions.
To access OverDrive Help simply click on the OverDrive Help icon above.
OVERDRIVE DIGITAL DOWNLOAD LIBRARY
Learn how to browse, check out, and download books and music from TCPL's website.
What types of digital materials can I download?
You can check out and download the following types of digital materials from OverDrive:
- eAudiobooks: A recorded reading of a book that can be downloaded and enjoyed on a computer or portable device. Formats: WMA, MP3
- eBooks: A text-based digital book that can be downloaded and read on a computer or portable device. Formats: EPUB, PDF, Kindle
- eMusic: Music that is digitized for download and transfer to a portable device. Format: WMA
How does it work?
- Browse, check out, and download with your library card … anytime, anywhere!
- Download to a Windows® or Mac® computer … and popular smartphones.
- Transfer to devices like the nook®, Apple® iPod, and Sony® Reader™.
- Accessibility features included for the visually impaired.
The Finger Lakes Library System (FLLS) subscribes to OverDrive on behalf of its member libraries so they can expand their services to include downloadable audio books, music and eBooks. All library card holders within Cayuga, Cortland, Seneca, Tioga and Tompkins can check out and download this digital collection anytime, anywhere.
What do I need to get started?
- A computer or device that meets the system requirements for the type(s) of digital materials you wish to check out (such as a Windows or Mac computer, or a smartphone like an Android, Blackberry, iPhone, or Windows Mobile).
- Tompkins County Public Library card (or a library card from any of the Finger Lakes Library System libraries)
Don't have a library card? Visit http://tcpl.org/services/circulation-library-cards.php for more information.
- Internet connection
- Free software
The OverDrive App for portable devices, and for audiobooks & music on your desktop/laptop.
Adobe Digital Editions for eBooks (does not apply to Kindle)
If using a smartphone or other digital device, see the Compatible Equipment/Devices section to determine requirements and/or apps.
How do I get to OverDrive?
Point your browser to flls.lib.overdrive.com and browse the collection.
How do I log in to my OverDrive library account?
You use the same library barcode number and password (by default the last four-digits of your phone number) to log in to your OverDrive library account. Please keep in mind that your OverDrive library account is separate from your Tompkins County Public Library account even though they use the same username and password (confusing, huh?). You will not see items checked out on your OverDrive account appearing in your TCPL account and likewise, you won't see your TCPL items checked out in your OverDrive library account.
Where can I download digital books?
You can download them from your home computer, from a Library computer, or directly to your digital device like a smartphone or iPad.
Is there a mobile version of the OverDrive website?
Yes, the mobile version should display automatically when you access flls.lib.overdrive.com on your mobile device. Or you can download the app directly to your device. Read the Get the Apps! section of this guide.
Do I have to pay to download these digital materials?
No, this service is free of charge with a valid Tompkins County Public Library card or a card from any Finger Lakes Library System library.
Is my equipment/device compatible with OverDrive?
OverDrive is compatible with PCs, Macs, WMA players, MP3 players, iPods, eReaders, and many smartphones. Visit http://help.overdrive.com/#devices for a complete updated list of supported devices.
New eAudiobook Titles: Discover new audiobook titles that have been recently added to the OverDrive catalog.
Mystery and Suspense
Science Fiction and Fantasy
Biography and Autobiography
Blues and Jazz
Pop and Rock
* These categories are just a few available from OverDrive. Also, we add new titles frequently so visit our digital library regularly to view a complete list of categories and see new purchases.